Saturday, November 01, 2008

a special project - break away to Nothern Thailand 2008 - Part 8 (Long neck village)

I had great times from my breakaway to Northern Thailand 2008, what has brought me most interest for this vacation was the visit to the Long neck village in Chiang Rai. Although the village has been customized for the intention of tourism, I still find much to know from the hill tribes especially their clothing, daily routines, handcrafts, their foods and their cultures. They are a few tribes that are living together with the Long Neck Tribe in the village and they are very remarkable.

It is sad that language was the main barrier for me, and what I know about the village was purely from my observations. I really hope that I could speak to them so that I can know them better in person. Harmonious lifestyle has always been my dream, as for life without internet, cameras, and shopping will just kill me instantly! Even though I enjoyed my visit there, but living in a village like this just isn’t my type.

Further to that, I would really want to pay a visit to a village which is more innate as in without much tourist loafing around and tour guides... I did a research and have decided to pay a visit to Kapa, Veitnam where hill tribes are profoundly innate there.


Long Neck Village - album cover


Let me share with you guys the journey using photos that I shoot over the visit:

Long Neck Tribe - a very famous woman used in many advertisement for the purpose of tourism in Thailand. She has a brilliant smile.
lnv1

She crated many cloths, like bed sheets, scarfs and table mattress which are colorful and their textures are just simply amazing.
lnv2

A closer view of the bars worn in her neck, simply flabbergasting...
lnv4

They start wearing neck bars at a very young age and annually increase their numbers; they believe that women with longer neck portrait beauty!
lnv5



She was showing me some items that she crafted, Ohh~ I got my self a scarf...
lnv6

I love this photo very much, that really gives cultures impact, varieties and story!
lnv7

The Akha tribe, most melodious and love to sing most of their time, I really enjoyed their singing alone and with their friendly smile, just makes me a heaven for the day!

Akha - Hut
lnv8

What a brilliant moment! I love their costume too!
lnv10

Akha man - smoking in Hut
lnv12

The eldest in the tribe! Love at that friendly notion!
lnv11

Place for cooking
lnv9

Dried corns for food
lnv13

Rest place
lnv14

Yao (Mien), showed me the spirit of the togetherness, love how their joint daily activities with all the tribe members.

Simply amazing performance; drums and vocals!
lnv15

Simply amazing drums rhythms.
lnv7

The elder and the youngster - a photo to portrait their people...
lnv16

PS: I kept this set of photos to be extremely natural and only levels were adjusted, just to share with you guys the naturalism and colors of the village itself.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT set of exposures here!i just love pictures that could tell thousand words~

Kin

Kevin Gan said...

Their culture is pretty much for me yet to be learn, and they are amazing! Thanks for ya lovely comment.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos and observation. I like that photo of three different age long-neckwomen! Though I think they now do it more for tourism than out of the tribe customs.

It would be even better to talk and interact with local people there. I always enjoy talking with the locals. If can't find someone there speaks my language, a private tour guide is my alternative. :D

http://www.ourexplorer.com
local guides, local wisdom

Kevin Gan said...

Thanks Jean for dropping by and the for the compliment.

Anonymous said...

Kev, I have two things to say about these set of pics.

1) OMG! Its actually scary to have your neck that long!

2) The historical significance of these photos. Thailand is near Burma and India and the people in your shots look tibetian to me. Ofcourse this is possible because of history and geography but I have never been to the part of thailand you've been too so its amazing to me. Chiang Mai and Bangkok, nothing beyond.

Oh and can I squeeze in a third comment?
You're bloody brilliant in potraying pics. Its almost like a story captured in a pic. I loved the pic with the Mum and the two kids. Untouched by industrialisation. Lovely.

Kevin Gan said...

Thanks Shirrie, for the comments! Yes, they have some ethnics from the northern regions, read it from the Wikipedia, source : Hill tribe, they migrate from places over the decades, and can be found over regions of Vietnam, Laos, Thailand; all over northern regions of Indo-China. Its an amazing group of people to know better!