Wednesday, July 30, 2008

break away to Northern Thailand 2008 - Part 3 (Mae Sai)

I will be randomly posting places from my recent trip to Northern Thailand without any specific order. Traveling in a van for about half a day from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai with unpleasant roads condition most of the time not only swayed my mood and my back was hurting most of the time sitting on the almost 90 degrees cushion in the van even we did some random stops.

The roads’ paths were like 40% tar (bad conditions with major pod holes), 20% tar (acceptable condition) and 40% harden red earth. Bumping up and down in the journey deem normal! Fortunately, our driver was at his top skills and it was forced comfortable despite the roads’ condition were really bad. Yee Cheng was having severe headache at some point of the journey and most of the time we just had our sleep a sounding as we were really tired!

As you see, the journey from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai is really a distance and the hills with the roads’ condition I mentioned were ain’t no joke for a sweet and comfortable journey. (Chiang Mai located at the south central of the map, and Mae Sai to the northern east from the map somewhere in the Golden Triangle; I will be posting more on Golden Triangle later)
map-northern-thailand

Mae Sai (This is the gate to Myanmar).Unfortunately, we did not have our visas to go over the other side, and instant Visa is just too expensive for us.
Maesai 1

We had our interest hooked up with the locals in Mae Sai; Food stalls are very common here!

Fried Chicken? I love the colors here...
Maesai 2

Local fruits sellers, Nice mangoes they got there, green and crunchy, a little sour thou, but Yee Cheng was like having a whole mango by herself!
Maesai 3

Just love the entire mood here! Does it tell you the story?
Maesai 4

Traveling by "tuk "tuk deems to be the most ordinary transportation mode in entire Thailand, as they are the most cost saving...
Maesai 5

The locals are really friendly, and they always keep a smile on! They did not noticed that I shot this picture, as I was activating my live view system from my E-3 and shot this picture from my waistline... (Just love how they cooperate and work together; with that smile all the time?)
Maesai 6

An overview of Mae Sai! It was raining for more than 24 hours, and the rain really got us wet all the time around this season of the year!
Maesai 7

A peep to Myanmar... actually still about 500 metres away!
Maesai 8

4-wd drive, too common here!
Maesai 9

Some local Thai & Burmese facial care products, I hope I dare to use them, they are real cheap!
Maesai 10

Local bus stop! I will show you more of Golden Triangle later...
Maesai 11

I really love visiting Mae Sai again, you can see a mixture of cultures here, mainly Thai, Burmese and a little of Chinese, as the Chinese's business men are always around for mining and textiles business. Shopping in Mae Sai in awesome too! From cheap and high quality gem stones to silver accessories, beautiful tea leaves to extraordinary handmade designed fabrics, and the foods here are just fabulous.

No comments: